Thursday, August 16, 2012

Welcome to Old Age...

Good morning.

I wanted to tell you about my latest injury.  I did SOMETHING to back on Monday that took me out of the game completely.  I'm pretty sure the significant increase in plyometric exercises, coupled with Romanian Deadlifts, followed by Box Squats was just more than I was ready for.  The weird thing is, I was working way below my normal Dead and Squat weights.  I was Deadlifting 240# and only Squatting 225# (my 3RM for both is over 300#).  Anyhow, I think all the impact from the plyos really did a number on my lower back and the weighted exercises after just finished me off.  Anyhow, by the end I was laying on the floor wondering if I would make it in the house.

I took the rest of the week off and I now feel a ton better.  However, I am not fully recovered, so I will continue resting, stretching and icing for the rest of the week and start back Monday.  For recovery I tried to focus on hip mobility; Psoas, Hamstring, and Glute flexibility; Ice; and massage.  I bought my wife a back massager when she was pregnant and I've been using that at work.  I also have been using a foam roller every morning to really hit my lower body muscles.  A great site, with tons of free info and videos is: MobilityWOD  It's run by this guy Kelly Starrett who is a mobility/stretching guru in the Crossfit community.  I used his stuff a ton when I was recovering from my ACL surgery a while back.  He has some great explanations and demonstrations.  Check it out if you have time.

I have decided also that I'm going to go back to basics on all of my lifts. I'm tired of questioning the depth of my lifts or if they were clean enough. So I'm going to use this injury as a rest button for all of my lifts and take them back to 0, and proceed up only with full range of motion and perfect form. That means full squats, bar touching chest bench, etc. If I can't get clean form, I don't go up in weight. That goes especially for my Olympic lifting. I'm tired of only doing power versions. While I do appreciate their benefit, I feel like I'm actually limiting myself by not learning proper mechanics.

Here's an old video.  I'm actually jumping a few inches higher now (or was before I jacked up my back!)

2 comments:

  1. Hey man this is really awesome! Good luck with all your goals! Hard work will make all of them come true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks man. I've been on the verge of putting a dunk down since high school, but never pushed over the edge. It will be a huge relief once I actually do it!

      Delete