Friday, November 9, 2012

Back in the Fight!

8 Nov 12

My first fight training in a very long time!  I went to a local gym in Houma, LA, and jumped in a San Shou class.  They were actually getting several fighters ready for a fight next weekend so I got to spar with some of them and did a lot of bag work.  We also did focus drills and defensive footwork drills which I am sorely in need of.  I didn't realize how bad my timing and feet have gotten.  Anyhow, it was a smoker and a lot of fun.  Here's roughly what we did:

2 rds x 2 min - Defensive footwork mirroring partner
4 rds x 2 min ea partner - Focus Combo work with partner, focus of footwork and positioning
8 rds x 2 min - Bag work, single combo each time - Jab-Hook-Upper, Front Kick-Jab-Cross, etc
6 rds x 2 min - 80% Sparring

Finisher
25-15-5
Burpees over partner
Partner at 6" while other partner completes burpees
Approx 4 min to complete
HOLY CRAP!

I am seriously not in fighting shape.  I can still throw my hands and kick with good power, but I am sucking wind.  Luckily for me, I can take a hit and keep pressing.  Lots of these kids want to do moves they've seen in movies or TV but have never had a real fight.  So I wanted to show them the difference.  After I slammed a kid (I say kid, he was 20) that tried some spinning back kick thing, they started to catch on.

Anyhow, good times.  Not sure when I'll get to do it again, but I may try to work mor on my bag at home.  I really like hitting things!

7 Nov 12

Went to a box for the first time since I was in Fresno in July.  But I didn't do a group session there, just went and worked out.  So this was my first group WOD since over a year ago.  It was pretty fun.  I went to CF Houma, in Houma, LA.  There was only 5 of us including the trainer but it was still good.

Strength
Snatch Grip Deadlift
5 x 135#
5 x 225#
5 x 245#
5 x 265#
Felt pretty good, but my grip was really what limited me.  Anyhow, my back is a little sore now, but it was probably good that I did snatch grip instead of standard because I tend to overdo it when I do standard.

WOD
"Annie"
50-40-30-20-10
DU
Situps
9:09 PR (Last time I did this it was 17:30!!! Course that was like 2 years ago!)

I got a horrible headache after the first round, but pushed on and it went away.  I actually got my last 2 sets unbroken on DU which I was very happy about.  I think that's a pr for UB DU but I'll have to check.

Finisher
Side Planks
2 x 70s ea
OUCH!  Those sucked.  Haven't done that in a while

No comments:

Post a Comment